Civil Unions

How to Apply for a Civil Union License in Freehold Township

Who Should Apply in Freehold Township

One of the applicants must be a Freehold Township resident. If neither applicant is a New Jersey resident, you must apply for the license in the municipality where the civil union ceremony will be performed: the license is only valid in the issuing municipality.

Where to Apply

Apply at the Freehold Township Vital Statistics Office.

Please call to schedule an appointment to ensure a Registrar is available. Appointment times are:

Monday through Thursday
7:30 am to noon and 2:30 to 4 pm

7:30 am to noon

Required Documents When Applying for a Civil Union License

  • Proof of identity by presenting your driver's license, passport or state/federal I.D.
  • Proof of your residency
  • Your social security card or social security number (Social Security number is required by law for U.S. citizens and will be kept confidential)
  • A witness, 18 years of age or older
  • The $28 application fee

Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.

Requested Additional Documents

These documents are helpful but not required:

  • A copy of your birth certificate to establish your parents' names and related birth information
  • If you are divorced, have had a previous civil union dissolved, domestic partnership terminated or have had a civil union annulled, please bring the decree(s) or the civil annulment documents.
  • If your former spouse/civil union or domestic partner is deceased, please bring the death certificate.

Information the Applicants Will Be Asked

  • Parents' birthplaces
  • Mother's maiden name
  • Name and address of person officiating
  • Date and place of civil union

Application Timing & Waiting Period

The recommendation is to come in at least 2 weeks before the ceremony. There is a mandated 72-hour waiting period from time of application. (Remember, we are closed on weekends.)


Contact Vital Statistics for specific information, at 732-294-2010.

Filing of Civil Union License

Civil union licenses will be recorded in the town where the civil union took place.

Certified Copy of Civil Union Certificate

Certified copies can be obtained from the town where the civil union took place.

Further Information

If there are any other questions that you need to be answered, please call Vital Statistics at 732-294-2010.