Certified Tree Experts
The Board of Tree Experts encourages the use of Certified Tree Experts when expertise regarding trees is needed. Recommendations from Certified Tree Experts will produce the correct, long-term management techniques required in the science of tree care.
A Certified Tree Expert is a person who has been examined and proven to be competent in the science and art of diagnosing, treating and preventing tree injuries. The certification is a document that ensures that the named individual has the expertise required to be presented to the public as a Certified Tree Expert.
The members of the Board of Tree Experts believe that a Certified Tree Expert is one who has demonstrated the highest professional, ethical and moral standards in the practice of tree care. It is also believed that this individual keeps abreast of state-of-the-art techniques and is continuously increasing his or her knowledge and skills in arboriculture. Over 6 decades of certifying tree experts has proven this to be true.
Certified Tree Experts operate private tree businesses or are employed by firms, corporations, municipalities, counties and other state and federal agencies engaged in professional tree care and maintenance. Services offered by Certified Tree Experts are varied, some of which include:
- Pruning and tree removal operations
- Insect and disease spray programs
- Fertilization programs
- Bracing, cabling and guying
- Consultation: site planning, casualty loss, appraisals, insurance adjustments, diagnosing insect, disease and physiological disorders
- Lightning protection - design and installation
- Integrated pest management
In order to become a Certified Tree Expert, the following requirements must be met:
- A citizen of the United States or one who has duly declared his or her intention of becoming a citizen, and who is a legal resident of the State of New Jersey
- 21 years of age or older
- A person of good moral character
- 4 years of college education, preferably in Forestry, Horticulture or equivalent; or
- Continuously engaged in the practice as a Tree Expert for at least 5 years; or
- A combination of education and experience
- A passing grade on the Certified Tree Expert examination
For further information see the New Jersey Certified Tree Experts Directory.