- Freehold Township Heritage Society
- Oakley Farm Venue Rental
Oakley Farm Venue Rental
The Clark-Walker-Combs-Hartshorne-Oakley Farmstead, 1686 to 1995: 300 Years of History. Available for Weddings and private events (adult birthdays, christenings, baby and wedding showers, corporate and non-profit events).
The farm encompasses 6 picturesque acres of rolling lawns and fields with a lovely gazebo, original barns and outbuildings, and is one of the earliest remaining farmsteads in the Freehold area.
We can accommodate a range of events, from a small wedding or party in the house of up to 50 guests to larger events of up to 200 guests under a tent on the lawn.
The structure incorporates an early 18th-century cabin (circa 1706), enlarged first to a 20-foot by 25-foot house in 1713, then to a 20-foot by 30-foot house in 1731. The house typifies one way 18th-century dwellings were expanded, so that the oldest portions are not externally visible.
The west side of the house was added in 1812, doubling its size. The house was pure Federal in style. The Italianate porch was added in 1850, as was the east wing, which is a circa 1780 dwelling that was moved from one of the orchards and attached to the main house at that time.
The Walker Family
The Walker family owned the property from 1720 to 1781, a total of 81 years. They were prominent patriots during the Revolutionary War era. George Walker II and 2 of his sons, George III (a lieutenant), Aaron (a dragoon) and his 3 nephews, including Dr. George Walker (a private in the militia) and Willam (a drum major in the Monmouth County militia). All fought at the battle of Monmouth and 2 were wounded. This property extended north into the battlefield to the Parsonage Farm.
During the 31 years of Elijah Combs' ownership, this property was added to his other properties, making 1,000 contiguous acres with over 200 apple and other fruit trees. He had a large distillery nearby, supplying the area with "spirits". His cider and still houses were "amongst the best in the County of Monmouth". Also, Mr. Combs held a majority of various house and farm mortgages in the area.